Link Bar

Home | Games | Programming | Tutorials | Donate | Legal (These are mostly empty right now. Placeholders!)

warning code

This website contains adult content.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 27.5: Two steps back...

Internet went down last night.  I tried to access the blog around 8, and that's when I first noticed it was down.  At 10, it was still down, so I went to sleep... because I had a job interview this morning!  (Cue excitement and applause!)  Just got back and the 'net is back up, now I have to go do the drug test.

You guys didn't miss much, honestly.  More reading, on how classes are made up of other classes, and can inherit things from parent classes, and so forth.  I'm learning (slowly) how things can be arranged into gangs of four, and how two-dimensional arrays can be "faked' from one-dimensional arrays, and it's all very fascinating and giving me lots of ideas.  But I'm having trouble scaling it down to the point where I can actually write the code; so once I've got that hacked, I'll be able to explode it up from there.

So... about that code-writing... the thing I wanted to be doing on day 26 (Monday)...

So, let's see... I told myself I'd have to start over at least six times.  If I work on a Solitaire game now to figure out objects, that will be my fourth time starting over (the RPG Toolkit world, Noob Game, Hula, and now this Solitaire game).  This is within acceptable bounds.  And then I can put objects in Hula.  And then I will know how I should have put them into Noob Game.  Maybe I'll have to re-do that, as well... Noob Game 2.0.  Then once I've got Noob Game's objects up and running, I think that might be at least the skeletal structure of an engine... so if Noob Game:  Objects is now the skeleton of an engine (and my fifth time starting over), then the game I was making with RPG Toolkit will be the sixth time starting over when I give it its own skeletal engine from scratch.  Except now I will know WTF I am doing.

OK, this is all within tolerance so far.  I'm leaving now to take the drug test, but it's across town and I'm walking, so that will eat up my time well into the evening.  When I get back, it will be time to work on Solitaire by coding objects for it.  If I don't get anything ready before I go to bed, I'll at least post to say so (giving at least the appearance of maintaining a schedule, and hey, I'll at least have learned a thing or two at any rate).  That gives me Thursday to also work on Solitaire, and Friday too, and then we'll see what's up by the weekend (hopefully I'll be scheduled for the orientation next Tuesday!).

1 comment:

  1. just a reminder, I -did- send you all my old code, which has classes and other object-y goodies to look at.

    ReplyDelete