Link Bar

Home | Games | Programming | Tutorials | Donate | Legal (These are mostly empty right now. Placeholders!)

warning code

This website contains adult content.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 21: "Hula" in development!

...and already in tiny Development Hell!

Alert Readers and long-time fans will recall that, like, three weeks ago, I came up with a cockamamie scheme to make a simple game with the little bit of knowledge that I had at the time.  Of course, like all my ideas, it worked perfectly in my head and then immediately went to Hell as soon as I started trying to make it happen.  Well, now that Noob Game is launched and complete, I figured I could just make a Big Boy Hula (to Noob Game's Playskool) and thereby force myself to make legit versions of all the things I conveniently worked around in Noob Game.  For example, rather than having exactly one NPC per area and governing all aspects of NPC interaction based on player location, I will need to figure out a way to make "real" NPCs which can be present in arbitrary quantities.

I'm some 300-odd lines of code in, after drawing up a little design document over the weekend and coding like one of those typewriter monkeys you hear about in misunderstandings of probability and the infinite.  I've got a game world, experience mostly works (but you start at level minus two billion, which should be zero, and then proceed to level one as intended), and all the buttons work except the "help" button which tells you what the buttons are.  But whatever.  I'm continuing to learn, and that's what counts, right?

Tomorrow, I'll be reading the full chapter 2 from TECS at the temp agency, and either I'll start on the project or I'll tinker around some more in Hula and put up a public beta.  Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment