Link Bar

Home | Games | Programming | Tutorials | Donate | Legal (These are mostly empty right now. Placeholders!)

warning code

This website contains adult content.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 1: Minor Progress, Major Frustration

I feel more frustrated than I feel accomplished right now.  I know, in my head, that the frustration is temporary and the accomplishments are cumulative:  I learned the rudiments of scripting and how to program an event, and I technically have something that ought to be playable (but in a very "we're running the editor" sort of way). See, here's my starting board:


Click for huge!

But I had to qualify that statement about playability because I can't get the game to test.  The very helpful tutorial tells me to click the green arrow to test the game, and I click the green arrow to test the game... and nothing happens.  I tried making the game into an executable file, and it wouldn't run.  Or maybe it ran but did nothing (after several tries at double-clicking it, I found a bunch of processes running in the Task Manager that were suspiciously doing nothing).  Not even the demo game runs.

Y'know what?  Fuggit.  I learned how to script events, place interactable items (of which NPCs are a subset, apparently), and place the player starting location.  Getting something to run is tomorrow's task.  Let's hope my Google-Fu is strong enough...

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried running RPG Editor in some form of compatibility mode? Depending on your OS (what is your OS, anyways?) you may want to fiddle around with how you run the thing (administrator privileges, etc.).

    Are there any errors when you click on the green arrow? If not, is there any way to get logging for what's going on in the app so you can perhaps see if there's a backend error?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it figured out. Nothing nearly that complex. Turns out I had to make another program which I didn't know was involved also run in administrator mode, and end the rundll process which was stopping that other program from doing its thing. Tch! How silly of me!

    ReplyDelete