Link Bar

Home | Games | Programming | Tutorials | Donate | Legal (These are mostly empty right now. Placeholders!)

warning code

This website contains adult content.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day 4: When progress doesn't feel like progress...

...you write it down so you can see how far you've come later.

I changed the menu options while poking around in the "start" program.  I still have no clear idea of what it is about where I put that text which makes it begin a game, or why the "cursor" is a finger and not an arrow, or how I could change it to an arrow.  But eventually, I will be familiar with this.

Instead of "Test Game," the top left displays "Practice Makes Perfect."
Starting options now read differently.  Cursor is still a finger.
Click for huge!

Two more boards!  Game world doubled again!  You can even walk from the first one all the way to the last one.  Complete with collision and program vectors, which I can now program to do one thing once, and then do another thing, thanks to Occasionally_Correct's tutorial.  Behold, our meager flower field farmer complains not once, but twice at how the player doth trample upon his flow'ry field:

Click for huge!

Beyond the farmer's flower field, the entrance to the forest.

The road doesn't go very far in this direction...

I also figured out how to edit tilesets... and broke all my boards in the process.  But fixed them!  I also got in some good tutorials on Creating and Using a Sprite Base (six parts in there, so far).

There!  I feel much better, now.  A noob I was, and a noob I remain, but today I still made progress.

Things I still want to do:

  • Move message windows around the screen.
  • Display an image after beginning a new game (with the "start" program?).
  • Make text appear upon that image.
  • Make a message window pop up when appearing on the first board.
  • Make only one button close that window - otherwise the move keys close it!
  • Make the farmer move to the player as part of the trespass program.
  • Give the player the option to talk or initiate combat.
  • Make dialogue options.
  • Make combat.  (UGH.)
  • Make the farmer's door work.
  • Make the farmer's house interior work.
  • Add under vectors to trees.
  • ...something with layers.
It looks so big and scary like that.  And combat is going to blow up into like a million things.  Whatever, I'll still take it one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment